Saturday, June 28, 2008

Waiving Beck Gives Storm Flexibility

The Storm announced today that rookie guard Kimberly Beck has been waived, and the timing is significant. Tomorrow is the date when all player contracts become guaranteed for the remainder of the season, so the waiver wire has been busy around the league.

"If we had waited even one day, we would not have had any flexibility," explained Storm Head Coach Brian Agler by phone after practice.

With an open roster spot, the Storm will now have the option of potentially adding a post player or a wing if needs arise at those positions.

Starting Tuesday, players can be signed to seven-day contracts, and Agler said the team would probably sign a player in the near future to fill Beck's roster spot while preserving that flexibility.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoops, I should have posted my comments under this one instead of the storm focus, but I said it before I'll say it again. T is great as a SG, but she is not a PG, Sue needs a real back up. Agler, you are running her into the ground; when at her age you have to keep injecting her knee you will ruin it that much faster, and I know all about injections into joints. 3 per joint and that is pushing it.

Anonymous said...

Please put Kristen O' Neill back on the roster - she deserves it and would be great as back up PG!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to see Beck let go. She had really good potential. I hope she gets the minutes she deserves on another team. Let's hope Agler has his sights set on another PG to back up Sue.

Anonymous said...

I agree, there needs to be someone to relieve bird once in a while... And it did seem like Beck was maturing as time went on.

Anonymous said...

The current makeup of this team has shown a lack of depth. Looking at the other teams in the West they have all shown depth and coaches that believe in using a larger rotation. Beck will be a big loss and I wish Agler would have given her more of an opportunity to play. He could have moved Sue to the 2 with Kim and seen how effective she was. I know that Kim was frustrated at the lack of opportunity to play as she felt ready to contribute and in her last game against LA she showed that but keying a run with heady play at the point.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sad Kim Beck is waived. She made the biggest impression on me at the Meet-n-Greet early in the season. I thought she has a lot of potential as a PG and I'll miss her on our court!