Thursday, June 19, 2008

Griffith Goes Through Practice

After going through Thursday's practice, Seattle Storm center Yolanda Griffith is a game-time decision for Friday when the Storm hosts the Indiana Fever (7:00 p.m., 1150 AM KKNW, TIX). Griffith, who injured her left knee and left ankle last Friday in San Antonio and has missed the Storm's two games since then, both losses, is clearly making progress in her recovery.

"Practice went good," Griffith said after practice. "I still have some soreness in my ankle. That's the concern right now. I've got to deal with a little soreness. Yesterday, I worked out for like 25 minutes individually with our conditioning coach working on cuts, rebounding, stuff like that. Today, did a full practice with the team. In the morning, we'll see if there's any swelling in my ankle and my knee. If not, it's the trainer's call."

Griffith practiced wearing a brace on her left ankle for extra support. She also had a brace on her left knee that she said would help "calm down" the ligament she tweaked.

Storm Head Coach Brian Agler did not notice much of an effect on Griffith's game of playing with the braces.

"The time that she was out there, she looked good," he said. "We will anticipate taking a strong look at her again tomorrow.

"I think she's a need no matter who we're playing. She just gives us a presence inside. She has the ability to do a lot of dirty work around the basket. When she got back out there today, you could see that what she had given us in the past, we were missing for a period of time."

Griffith knows her value to the Storm and admitted it was somewhat frustrating watching the Connecticut Sun pound the offensive glass during Monday's win at KeyArena. However, she also is thinking long-term and doesn't want to rush back and do further damage.

"I know it's important for me to help this team and be the center they need me to be," Griffith said, "but it's also important to be smart about the whole situation."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Yolanda's game! Doing the dirty work under the boards, and she has an amazing ability to be in the right place at the right time. She grabs rebounds, throws those big girls around, and takes up a huge amount of space under the basket. Yo is my hero!