Friday, January 9, 2009

Agler: One Year Later

Wrapping up a busy debut week for "This Date in Storm History," today is the one-year anniversary of Brian Agler taking over as the Storm's head coach. When I had Agler on the phone recently, I made a point of asking him about his take on the first year. In particular, I was thinking about accomplishments, like how Agler mentioned improving defensively as his top priority during his introductory press conference. The Storm allowed the league's fewest points per game, so that goal was achieved en route to a franchise-record 22 wins.

However, Agler took the question in a different (and better) direction, paying special tribute to the Storm's fans:

I've thoroughly enjoyed the first 12 months. I've enjoyed working with the players, I've enjoyed working with the staff, I've enjoyed working with the new ownership. The fans in Seattle are all and more what's been advertised. It's obviously a lot better to be on the home team's side at KeyArena than the visiting team's side. I've experienced both. It's just been fabulous.

Moving forward, we want to continue to play extremely well at home and we want to have the opportunity to put ourselves in position to win a championship each and every year. We feel like if we can catch a break or two in free agency or in the draft, we can stay right there in the hunt.

No comments: